Willpower, collaboration, perseverance. It’s going to take that and a whole lot more to reshape the world to be as inclusive and socially aware as we all envision. However, it isn’t always obvious how we as individuals can leverage our unique skills to enact tangible change in our own communities and beyond. That’s why we are excited to present Threadless Causes, an incredibly easy way for you—the artist—to raise funds for the initiatives you support, from Suicide Prevention to Humanitarian Aid.
Using Causes is simple. In your Artist Shop Dashboard, select a design from which you’ll donate a percentage of earnings. Then, choose from a list of approved Causes and charities to direct those funds.
But that’s only the bare-bones approach! To really magnify your impact, create new designs in the spirit of the Causes you wish to support. Also think about how you can market those designs to your audience to effectively spread awareness.
Find Inspiration in the Message
Picking a random design in your shop to fundraise may not resonate as much as a design specifically tailored to the Causes you’ve chosen to support. Why are those specific Causes important to you? What are they trying to accomplish? What does the world look like once they’ve accomplished those goals?
These are just a few thoughts to get the creative juices flowing. No matter which direction you choose, don’t abandon your unique style! Your art is why the Threadless community loves you! Here are a few examples of shops nailing the message while staying true to their artistry.
“I’m Fine” by von Kowen
von Kowen’s shop is filled to the brim with skulls, tongue-in-cheek humor, and lots of black. All of those elements are present in “I’m Fine” benefitting Hope For The Day, a nonprofit focusing on suicide prevention. The design itself takes direct inspiration from the organization’s motto, “It’s OK Not to Be OK.”
“Rainbow Burger” by Alchemy Mellow
Alchemy Mellow, meanwhile, gives eyes a sugar rush of bubbly, cartoonish illustrations drenched in highly saturated pastels. The shop supports the National Center for Transgender Equality with its “Rainbow Burger” design boasting the colors of a rainbow, a symbol widely used by the LGBTQIA+ communities.
“Defund the Police” by Teenage Stepdad
No stranger to political statements, Teenage Stepdad makes heads turn with clever, boldly lettered phrases paired with graphics that similarly push the envelope, as seen on “Defund the Police.” The design frankly addresses police brutality while fundraising for Black Lives Matter, which stands against systemic racism, racial inequality, and oppression.
Causes You Can Support Today (Updated 03/19/21)
This list is nowhere near final. We are always adding new Threadless Causes and charities to support even more initiatives making a difference around the world. If you have a suggestion for a Cause or charity you would like to see, please tell us here.
- Racial Injustice: Show your support and help fight racial injustice. These designs directly benefit organizations fighting for racial equality in an effort to eradicate systemic racism. We recently added organizations that work to combat hate and violence against Asian and Pacific Islander communities.
- Suicide Prevention: We can all help prevent suicide. Support organizations that provide suicide education, information, and essential preventative resources to individuals, families, and communities in need.
- Mental Health Awareness: It’s not only okay, but essential to talk about mental health! Support charities that are helping to remove the stigma and provide mental-health services to underserved communities around the world.
- Humanitarian Aid: Organizations associated with this Cause deliver medical supplies, food, and other forms of relief to communities in need around the globe. They help to save lives, alleviate suffering, and maintain human dignity.
- Pride/LGBTQIA+: This Cause supports Pride-focused organizations helping to ensure every member of LGBTQIA+ communities has equal rights and the resources they need to not only survive, but thrive.
- Human Rights: Basic human rights should be inalienable, but are in danger all around the world. This Cause supports organizations fighting for a more equitable society.
- Environment: It’s our collective duty to protect the environment for future generations to come. Each organization associated with this Cause does critical work to reduce pollution, defend wildlife, and conserve land and water.
Shout It from the Rooftops
You’ve chosen Causes to support. You’ve created relevant designs. That’s awesome! But the next step might be the most important of all: spreading the word. The loudest, farthest-reaching megaphone these days is social media. A few strategic posts here and there can motivate friends, fans, and customers to shop with purpose.
Glitch Goods by Rob Sheridan, for example, uses Instagram’s myriad features to create buzz around face masks benefitting MedShare. A quick scroll through the shop’s profile reveals several posts advertising face masks, along with captions clearly stating the charity’s mission and fundraising progress.
That’s not where Glitch Goods stops. As seen in the post above, the shop regularly fills its profile, stories, and highlights with pictures and videos of followers actually wearing the face masks, which only intensifies their allure.
Using a multifaceted strategy similar to Glitch Goods can help expose your designs to a worldwide audience. Just be sure to tag and hashtag the charities you’re fundraising for so followers can find and see the important work for themselves.
Art throughout history has always been a powerful tool that drives cultural change and gives a voice to the underserved and underrepresented. Threadless Causes empowers you to continue that tradition. Use it as a tool to bolster the charities you believe in, but also go the extra mile to maximize your impact with new designs and a marketing game plan. For design inspiration, visit the Threadless Causes page.
If there are any organizations you’d like to fundraise for that aren’t on the list of approved charities, visit the Causes help page for more information.